The team at Maldron Hotel Belfast City are committed to reducing our carbon footprint and are always looking for ways to increase our sustainability efforts. Our Environmental Impact Team meet once a month dedicating themselves to the further improvement of green initiatives throughout the hotel. Whether it be through energy conservation or recycling and waste management we are proud to do our part to preserve the environment.
Below are some of the steps we have taken to be more environmentally aware in Maldron Hotel Belfast City so far:
- Urban honey project with bees and hives on our rooftop.
- Rooftop wild herbs which Chef uses to garnish dishes and we dress cocktails with.
- Replaced all of our fluorescent bulbs to LED. We also have sensors throughout the building.
- Leak detection systems and metering are used throughout to ensure wastage is minimised.
- Appliances such as dishwashers and washing machines are low flow models to make further water savings.
- All guest bathrooms are fitted with sensors and low flush technology.
- The hotel has a proactive approach to recycling – all glass, cardboard, plastic bottles, aluminium cans, paper and food waste are all sorted and collected for recycling.
- Recycled paper coasters and beer mats are used throughout the hotel as well as paper straws.
- Removed single-use plastics in all guest bedrooms.
- Replaced plastic water bottles in the rooms with either glass bottles or cans of water.
- Replaced single-use shampoos/conditioners and soap with wall mounted refillable, vegan-friendly options.
- All our takeaway coffee cups and lids are 100% recyclable.
- We have introduced a “keep cups” to our Red Bean Roastery Coffee offering.
Awards & Acknowledgments
We were very proud to receive the highest achievement of a Gold Award from Green Tourism. This promotes greener ways for businesses and organisations to operate, by offering their staff advice on:
- Reducing energy use
- Saving water
- Efficient & eco-friendly waste disposal
- Ethical buying
- Staying local & seasonal
- Minimising food miles
- Promoting biodiversity
- Adopting a smart, sustainable outlook from top to bottom
Team Environmental Projects
- Our Head Chef and General Manager went wild garlic foraging.
- Our Green Team organised a city centre litter pick and cleaned around local buildings during lockdown.
- Our Marketing team share social posts on how to help the environment and guide guests in-house on how to reduce their carbon footprint.
- We have adopted 2 WWF animals – a snow leopard and a polar bear.
- Our team went to Helen’s Bay beach and cleaned up litter and items left behind.
- We held fundraising events for our nominated charity – Air Ambulance Northern Ireland.
Living Green - The Future
Maldron Hotels & Partners are committed to continuing our efforts to reduce our environmental impact. If you would like to know more about our environmental movement, please click here.